Coastal guide to nature and history: Port Phillip Bay

Updates and corrections

Page 6: Bass and Flinders voyaged around Tasmania in the Norfolk from October 1798 to January 1799

Page 78: Carlo Catani was the Engineer-in-chief of the Public Works Department from 1892-1917

Page 79: Point Ormond: Chris Hermann has found that almost all of the material removed from Red Bluff was used as ballast for the speculative railway lines being built at the time

Page 143, 144 and index:  Sarcocornia quinqueflora has reverted to its old name Salicornia quinqueflora

The following updates and corrections were incorporated into the 2017 reprint:

Page 27 and index:'Red Bluff Sandstone' should read 'Brighton Group' sandstone

Page 27 and index: The coastal wirilda has been renamed Acacia uncifolia (not Acacia uncinata)

Page 36: In 2016 Alcoa was working with the EPA on a plan for remediation of the smelter site at Point Henry

Page 37: Moolap salt works: The Victorian Government is consulting with the community with the aim of releasing a draft plan for the site in late 2016

Page 39: In 2016 the old railway tunnel under Mercer Street was filled in

Page 52: In July 2015 the Victorian Government removed the option to bathe nude at Campbells Cove

Page 57 and index: Sirens restaurant is now Shellys Beach Pavilion

Page 58: Friends of Altona Coastal Park has wound up

Page 67: PerceWhite Reserve behind Sandridge beach has been changed from a bit of remnant bushland into an indigenous garden. Friends of Port Melbourne's Foreshore has wound up

Page 83: There are now no commercial fishers operating from Hampton Pier

Page 87: The lower beacon at Quiet Corner (pictured) has fallen over. The palm tree on the grassy slope near Banksia Point has been removed

Page 92, 133, 134 and index: Electroma papilionacea is the new name for 'Electroma georgiana'

Page 116: In September 2014, Mornington Peninsula Council decided that the foreshore site is 'no longer the preferred location for the proposed aquatic centre'

Page 122-123: As of 2015, silver gulls are back on Mud Islands

Page 136, 137 and index: Green turban shell has been renamed Lunella undulata

Page 137: Cominella lineolata is more of a scavenger than a predator. It homes in on dead animals

Page 154: 'Red Bluff Sandstone on Bellarine Peninsula and north of Geelong' should read 'Brighton Group sandstone on Bellarine Peninsula and north of Geelong'

The following updates and corrections were incorporated into the 2014 reprint:

Page 36: Alcoa announced the imminent closure of the Point Henry aluminium plant in February 2014

Page 41: A deal to sell the Shell oil refinery and Shell petrol stations to Dutch company Vitol was announced in February 2014

Page 78: The Stokehouse Restaurant, St Kilda, was destroyed by fire on the night of 17 January 2014

Page 87: Quiet Corner: The paintings on the Coastal Art Trail have been moved to the car park south of the clock tower at Black Rock (Mel 85 K5). Frank Latimer's painting does not show an off-shore stack and is not relevant to the story

Page 96: Caption mis-spelt: 'McClelland house, Frankston' is correct

Page 97: Sweetwater Creek: Its mouth is now just a pipe under the Nepean Highway

Page 109: re Mount Martha street names: Maude, Augusta and Ernest were the second given names of Alice, Helena and Alfred respectively

Page 163: Bill Stephens (Wyndham Boatshed Association) name mis-spelt

Coastal guide to nature and history 2: Mornington Peninsula's ocean shore, Western Port, Phillip Island & French Island

Updates and corrections

Page 4: Bass and Flinders voyaged around Tasmania in the Norfolk from October 1798 to January 1799

Page 11, 110 and index: The hooded plover's name is now Thinornis cucullatusFigures for the hooded plover in the 2015-16 season were much better than in the previous few years: on the Mornington Peninsula there were 7 successful fledgings from 30 pairs monitored, and on Phillip Island there were 17 fledgings from 18 pairs. Since then the counts have gone down a bit, partly attributed to extreme weather and storm surges. 

Page 23: Angel Cave:The 'angel' formation has survived the destruction of stalactites and stalagmites inside the cave which occurred many years ago

Page 67: 'Spheroidal weathering': The patterns in the picture are not examples of spheroidal or 'onion-skin' weathering (see pages 80 and 107), although this can be seen nearby at Corinella. These patterns are thought to be caused by rhythmic precipitation of minerals from liquids in the rock. Such patterns are known as Liesegang bands. The reasons for the 'rhythm' are not well understood.

Page 40, 44, 49: The Register of the National Estate is archived, but no longer has any legal status.

Page 130, 131 and index: Sarcocornia quinqueflora has reverted to its old name Salicornia quinqueflora.

The following updates and corrections were incorporated into the 2015 reprint:

Page 57: The old car bodies have been removed from the shore north of Lang Lang by order of the Environment Protection Authority

Page 97:The lease for the tidal power generator at Newhaven has been renewed in case further experimentation is required

Page 114:The fragments washed up on the beach in the photo are probably a species of Siphonophore, not Velella, which is in a different but related Order

Page 121: Cominella lineolata is more of a scavenger than a predator. It homes in on dead animals

Page 123 and index: The red bait crab is now named Guinusia chabrus

Page 127: The sea nymph Amphibolis antarctica is common around both entrances of Western Port and along ocean shores